NPOC EC Meeting Notes – Thursday, August 20 2020

PRESENT: Joan Kerr, Raoul Plommer, Oreoluwa Lesi, Ioana Stupariu, Emmanuel Vitus, Jacqueline Morris, Caleb Ogundele

ABSENT: Carlos Raul Gutierrez

ICANN STAFF: Maryam Bakoshi, Carlos Reyes

1. ACTIONS FROM LAST MEETING:

CHARTER:

Action Item:

  • Maryam Bakoshi will follow-up with Carlos Reyes of ICANN on the progress of the Charter document and check if he can have it ready for the next EC meeting. ← DONE

NEXT CLOUD:

Action Item:

  • Raoul: Will look for a tutorial video for NextCloud’s task management on YouTube
  • Anyone: Look through NextCloud and make suggestions of how best to use the tool in order to organise our work better.

POLICY ISSUES & REVIEW:

Action Item:

  • Ore will share the comment on the Multistakeholder Model she helped to draft with NPOC members on the mailing list. ← DONE

OUTREACH:

Action Items:

  • Ioana: Will consult with NPOC members on preferred scheduling for education meetings.
  • Ioana: Will schedule the next membership meeting for end of August

WEBSITE & ENGAGEMENT:

Action Item:

  • Raoul: NPOC domain is up for renewal. Will renew it and submit the receipt for reimbursement. ← DONE

2. NOMCOM REVIEW RESPONSE:

Updates:

  • NCSG is meant to send a coordinated response to the NomCom Review Group, instead of NPOC sending a meeting on its own.
  • Joan: GNSO is in agreement that NPOC should have a seat, but the issue is how to get the seat allocated.
  • Raoul: We need to send the response letter by tonight.
  • Joan: We need to re-work the letter that Raoul has drafted to make it more succint, less personal and highlight the issue of fairness.

Action Item:

  • Joan & Raoul: Will edit the letter and others have the option to review it in NextCloud.

3. MOTION FOR BANK ACCOUNT CLOSURE IN CANADA:

Update:

  • Ioana moved for the bank account to be closed. Jacqueline and Raoul seconded it.

Action Item:

  • Joan will communicate the motion to Sam LaFranco.

4. STAFF CHARTER REVIEW:

Update:

  • Carlos Reyes introduced the staff review. ICANN is looking to standardise all the constituency charters, especially with respect to the structure.
  • Maryam gave an overview of some of the comments:
    • Section 4.0 needs more clarity in terms of composition, voting roles and roles
    • The charter should include an operating procedure that can be changed as needed, instead of having to update the charter more frequently
    • Section 8 on the NPOC’s participation in the Empowered Community
  • NPOC EC needs to review and respond to ICANN as soon as possible. There is no requirement that NPOC EC agree with all the comments from ICANN.
  • Joan: Asked about access to the original NPOC charter, as we need to know the initial name of NPOC i.e. are we Operational Concerns Constituency or Organisations Constituency.
  • Carlos: It’s best to go with the name referenced in the Bylaws
  • Maryam: There was a request for the name of NPOC to be changed from “Not-for-Profit Organizations Constituency” to “Not-for-Profit Operational Concerns Constituency” between 2010 and 2011.
  • Joan: Asked what the process of changing the name would be as the name can be hard to explain to new members and we were planning on changing the name to “Organisations Constituency”.
  • Carlos: To change the name of NPOC, we would need to make a proposal to the OEC and then the Board reviews it. After that there is a period of public comment and the empowered community can accept or reject the proposal.
  • The NPOC EC would need to review the charter with comments and get back to Carlos Reyes and Maryam Bakoshi as soon as we can.
  • Ioana: Suggests that NPOC EC sets a deadline for members to discuss the review of comments

Action Item:

  • All: Review the document and discuss the comments and proposed changes on Thursday, September 10. Maryam will join the meeting.

5. EC ACTIVITIES/UPDATES:

NEXTCLOUD:

Updates:

  • Ganga shared a link about a privacy shield regulation that affects NextCloud.
  • Raoul: The regulation affects all American cloud service companies. He doesn’t know about the European companies. He recommends that we keep using it as the information we keep on the NextCloud is not personal, except for our email addresses and we would want to give that out to any cloud service we use.
  • Raoul: Suggests we use the Task feature of NextCloud, so that we can easily see the status of ongoing tasks.

OUTREACH:

Updates:

  • Many people have been on holiday, so Ioana delayed moving forward with scheduling the next meeting. She will send out a Doodle possibly tomorrow to schedule the first members’ meeting.
  • Suggests the next meeting should focus on providing an overview of all the recent news e.g. potential merger of NPOC, NCUS and NCSG, a transition meeting to introduce with the new EC, ask about topics they are interested in learning more about.

Action Items:

  • Ioana: Will consult with NPOC members on preferred scheduling for education meetings.
  • Ioana: Will schedule the next membership meeting for end of August

6. BUSINESS ARISING:

CONSTITUENCY & STAKEHOLDER GROUP RELATIONSHIPS:

  • Joan: Suggested that NPOC members seek to work collaboratively with other constituencies and stakeholder groups in the course of our ICANN-related work and activities. For instance, since we are part of NCSG, we should seek to work more closely with NCSG on pushing for our NomCom seat rather than attempting to pursue this goal alone.

NEXT MEETING:

  • Charter review meeting will take place on Thursday, September 10, 2020
  • NPOC EC Meeting will take place on Tuesday, September 15, 2020.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *