NPOC EC Meeting Notes – Saturday, November 2, 2019
PRESENT: Joan Kerr, Oreoluwa Lesi, Juan Manuel Rojas, David Cake, Maryam Bakoshi (ICANN Staff)
ONLINE: Caleb Ogundele
APOLOGIES: Raoul Plommer, Carlos Raul Gutierrez,
REPORTS & UPDATE:
- Ore gave an update on the recent tasks completed and outstanding activities
- Joan: We received comments on the recent Charter version from the NPOC members.
- Maryam: Raoul compiled the comments and these will be shared with members on Constituency Day
- Action Item:
- Raoul will share the Charter comments on the Constituency Day
CLOUD STORAGE UPDATE:
- Raoul was not around to give any feedback
MARKETING & RESOURCES DEVELOPMENT UPDATE:
- Juan: First part of the survey to find out who the members are
- Second part of the survey to find out what they are doing
- The survey was shared with NPOC members on Oct 28, though only 4 people have completed it ‘till date.
- Invites all EC members to complete the survey, so we can find out where our members are participating, their regions, age, what challenges they are facing in getting more involved in NPOC activities and the ways that they would like to be more involved, what operational concerns they have.
- Marketing materials produced for ICANN 66 were booklets, postcards, business cards, buttons. The goals for these materials are to let people know what we do and how we are different from NCUC.
- Ore: Asked if NPOC EC members would be at the ICANN booth to answer questions from the general public. Joan suggested we just go there when we have the time.
- Joan: We would like to have a webinar that lasts at least 15 minutes and collaborate with GDD (Global Development Division) since they have a lot of materials already.
- Juan mentioned that we have had 2 members’ calls since ICANN 65.
- Joan: There won’t be a members’ call in November, since we have Constituency Day here at ICANN 66.
- Action Items:
- Invites all EC members to complete the survey
- Complete the About NPOC slides
- We have 3 speakers lined up for the day
POLICY COMMITTEE UPDATES & POLICY STRATEGY:
- Dave: We have not yet identified any policy priorities, so suggests our first task is to find what policy issues we most align with.
- He believes that Carlos will be taking the lead on all activities related to this from now.
- Joan asked that Dave put together a statement on NPOC’s policy activities to use as a basis for our brainstorming discussion with ALAC this afternoon (Nov. 2).
- Action Item:
- Dave will put together a statement on NPOC’s policy activities to use as a basis for our brainstorming discussion with ALAC this afternoon
CROP COORDINATOR & VISA ISSUES:
- Joan: Mentioned that Ioana is now the CROP Coordinator and suggests that she join each EC meetings to share any CROP application updates.
- Dave: About 37% of visa applicants were rejected.
- Juan: The visa agency Newland Chase was too slow in assisting him with his application process.
- Ore: In applying for the Japanese visa, she used Newland Chase and they were also very slow then.
- Caleb: Believes that ICANN did not take the visa issue seriously until many people got rejected.
- Joan: Had made a suggestion in the past that ICANN writes directly to the embassy to inform them of the meeting and send a list of people who they have invited to the meeting.
- Wants to know how to share our complaints in an effective way.
- Ore: Suggests we share a statement about this at the public forum
- Joan: Suggests we also write to the board. She will find out the most effective channel to direct this statement to.
- Action Items:
- Joan will find out the most effective channel to direct this statement to
- We will draft a statement to share at the public forum and also with the Board or whoever is the person to direct the issue to
- The Constituency Day is scheduled for Tuesday, November 5 at 1330 to 1500 local time.